Wednesday, October 28, 2009

understanding human behaviour


So, I've been attending emba classes for 3 months.. now the part 1 is over. On top of gaining new knowledge and meeting up new group of people, I am extremely miffed!

On the subject of teacher, a favorite author of mine, Neil Postman. Who in his 1995 essay ‘The error of our ways’ wrote:


“All that is necessary is that at the beginning of each course, the teacher address students in the following way:


During this term, I will be doing a great deal of talking. I will be giving lectures, answering questions, and conducting discussions. Since I am an imperfect scholar and, even more certainly, a fallible human being, I will inevitably be making factual errors, drawing some unjustifiable conclusions, and perhaps passing along my opinions as facts. I should be very unhappy if you were unaware of these mistakes. To minimize that possibility, I am going to make you all honorary members of Accuracy in Academia. Your task is to make sure that none of my errors goes by unnoticed.


At the beginning of each class, I will, in fact, ask you to reveal whatever errors I made in the previous session. You must, of course, say why these are errors, indicate the source of your authority, and, if possible, suggest a truer or more useful or less biased way of formulating what I said. Your grade in this course will be based to some extent on the rigor with which you pursue my mistakes. And to ensure that you do not fall into the torpor that is so common among students, I will, from time to time, deliberately include some patently untrue statements and some outrageous opinions.


There is no need for you to do this alone. You should consult with your classmates, perhaps even form a study group that can collectively review the things I have said. Nothing would please me more than for one or several of you to ask for class time in which to present a corrected or alternative version of one of my lectures.”


Why he said this? Because in his blog- Overcoming bias blog has a post about his favorite professor, who had a habit of intentionally lying in class. Why? To force people to both pay attention and to think critically about what the professor was saying.


:) Interesting. That gives a reason why teacher should lie.

No comments: